Saturday, September 12, 2009

Albino Raven at White Head

No videos or pictures in your ILQW email? See them at http://ilovequoddywild.blogspot.com



Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:21:48 -0300
From: Roger Burrows Nature NB
Subject: Albino Common Raven

September 10

While out birding with a visitor from North Carolina in the late afternoon I saw an all-white bird flying over the woods beside Thoroughfare Road and assumed it was a Herring Gull. I quickly realized, however, that it was a Common Raven with not a single black feather in its plumage. A closer look indicated a pure albino as the bill was pale pink..I didn't get a chance to look at the eye or leg colour before the bird flew off back into the woods. A normal-plumaged Common Raven did not react in any way to the albino. I wonder if this was the "all-white gull" that someone referred to earlier this fall. Although I have seen several crows in Britain and North America
with varying amounts of white in their plumage, this was the first corvid I have seen without any black feathers and and the first raven with any white in its plumage.

Roger Burrows
Ingalls Head
Grand Manan

Photo Credit: Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment